Leeds Innovation Centre
Leeds Innovation Centre
The University of Leeds established Leeds Innovation Centre Limited with the aim of providing and managing laboratory and office accommodation. It is home to many University spin-outs in its 30,000 square feet of office and laboratory accommodation, in addition to many other organisations benefiting from being on the campus location.
Leeds Innovation Centre’s vision is to be the University’s ‘front of house’ for the provision of high quality office and laboratory accommodation, enabling an attractive program of business support designed to encourage a community of innovative and entrepreneurial excellence.
The Innovation Hub and Bioincubator (part funded by the European Regional Development Fund and Yorkshire Forward) brings together a number of innovation related activities.
- The Research and Innovation Service provides an effective pathway for the transfer of the University’s innovation into business so that expertise and research collaborations are easily accessible.
- Commercialisation Services identifies, protects and manages the University of Leeds’ expertise and intellectual property so that, along with its partners, Leeds Innovation Centre achieves the maximum impact from research. Support is provided for innovative business ideas. To enable this there are streams of funding, including Proof of Commercial Concept.
- The IP Group generates commercial value from IP created by its University Partners.
- The Institute of Public Health and Public Health Research also has a considerable presence at the site.
- The innovation space and conferencing facilities host a wide variety of business events, including formal and informal training, seminar programmes and workshops, regional and national innovation programmes and international visits.
The incubator element of the site is a split service, offering high-tech companies refurbished commercial laboratory space in the existing campus-based Bioscience building, enabling closer liaison with the Faculty of Biological Sciences and access to its expertise and facilities. The Commercial offices are in the new building next to the Innovation Centre which can provide ideal growing-on space should companies wish to remain in the campus environment.
Being on the University Campus offers many benefits to the occupants. There is access to some of the best Faculty expertise and equipment possible and the lively environment has many shops, bars and cafes to enjoy. The University of Leeds Business School, new Law School and the Marks & Spencer Archive all add to the vibrant feel of the site. As an added bonus, the campus is only a short walk from the City Centre.
The aim is to be as flexible as possible with regards to the services provided in the Innovation Hub and Innovation Centre. This flexibility extends to the tenancy terms that are tailored to suit the needs of the customer. The one-stop monthly fee includes Business Rates, utilities, general repairs, cleaning, reception/management services, furniture, security and car parking. The accommodation is furnished to a high standard and is of a very modern appearance, with CAT5 cabling throughout to ICT Active standards.
The laboratories comprise fitted-out laboratory, write-up and storage area with access to shared areas and facilities. In addition there are on-site meeting rooms at each of the facilities and additional services such as refreshments, administration services, in-house telephone service and postal service.
Leeds Innovation Centre Limited, with its several years of experience in managing serviced accommodation, acts as the central point of contact for accessing any services required either administratively from the Centre or establishing a service/contact either on the Campus or from its ever expanding list of external professional contacts.
Some of the tenants/spin-outs currently enjoying these facilities are:
- Luto: Enhancing, editing and user testing patient information for pharmaceutical companies.
- Tracsis: Automated resource-scheduling software to worldwide transport markets.
- Connect Yorkshire: Fast-track to growth for Yorkshire technology and life sciences companies.
- Medisoft: Ophthalmology clinical record software.
- Xlab:New approach for sending pathology samples between UK laboratories.
- BioNordic: Design, supply and support of bioenergy technology.
- Instrumental: R&D into inductively coupled telemetry.
- Reaxa: Technology to reduce metal contamination.
- Escubed: Analytical and research services in particle and powder technology.
Leeds Innovation Centre
103 Clarendon Road
|Job title:||Managing Director|
View larger map »